Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Subtleties of Change

CHANGE.
My family is not so good with certain types of it. I mean, we're not absent-minded about dates and whatnot, but all the clocks in the house are off by however much and we're lost without cell phones when DST starts/ends. When I was little and Devilspawn had been brought back from the hospital, I was annoyed because nobody cared about me anymore. So, I asked my mother, "When is [Devilspawn] going back to the hospital?"
A similar thing happened when my dad's-side aunt, who was a single mother, married my uncle. My oldest cousin (and my aunt's only child) remarked, "I liked you better when you were Mommy's boyfriend."
Because, you see, there's something else my family is bad with.
SUBTLETY.
My mother once told me I'd inherited the [Saxon] subtlety when I explained to, coincidentally, my aunt and uncle that Mom was sensitive about her height in relation to mine. I'm taller than she is.
And I'm fine with that. But it's really annoying when I try to explain something and, well, the Saxon subtlety gets in the way. And the intended recipient doesn't get what I'm talking about. But it's totally clear to me. Anyone else noticed this?

No comments:

Post a Comment